Thursday, November 11, 2004

Bloomberg.com: Bloomberg Columnists

Bloomberg.com: Bloomberg Columnists: "Can a Tax on Income and Sales Be Flat and Fair?: Caroline Baum
Nov. 11 (Bloomberg) -- In April 2002, I was researching a column on tax reform and called Bob Hall, the father of the flat tax.
At the time, the Stanford University economics professor was besieged by journalists wanting to know if the National Bureau of Economic Research's Business Cycle Dating Committee, a group Hall chairs, was about to declare the official end of the 2001 recession.
When I told Hall I wanted to talk about the flat tax, he sounded surprised.
``I haven't had a journalist call me on the flat tax in years,'' Hall said. ``I thought it was an ice-cold issue.''
Ice-cold, maybe. But not fully frozen. "

No comments: