Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Newsday.com: Don't rain on my charity

Newsday.com: Don't rain on my charity: "Don't rain on my charity



September 26, 2005

A free umbrella arrived in my mailbox the other day, wrapped in flame-red plastic, the most extravagant of any unsolicited gift I've received from a group tugging at my private sense of charity.

Painted with a 19th century Parisian street scene, that umbrella hardly reflects my personal flair. I am unlikely ever to carry it but disinclined to toss a perfectly good tool. If a guest happened to be leaving my apartment during an unexpected downpour, she could shield herself with that umbrella and not bother returning it. She could pass that umbrella to the next unprepared, uncovered person. The umbrella got dropped into the household umbrella bin, and the gifting charity's self-addressed, postage-paid envelope onto the recycling heap."

No comments: