Thursday, January 19, 2006

La Cañada Valley Sun: La Cañada Flintridge, California

La Cañada Valley Sun: La Cañada Flintridge, California: "Feel Passion in Philanthropy

By Doris Boyer


Passion. I felt it when I met my husband. I felt it when I had my kids. I felt it the first time I sang a song on a stage.

Now, I am feeling passion for a new venture. I am beginning my first year as the president of the Glendale Community Foundation -- a charitable endowment just for our community that is celebrating its 50th anniversary this year.

When I joined the Board of Trustees two years ago, I knew of the Community Foundation as a stalwart of our community. It has made more than $3 million in grants to more than 300 agencies, most of which are right here in the Glendale, La Cañada Flintridge, La Crescenta, Montrose and Verdugo City area. It has grown from a $3,000 base of charitable capital in 1956 to more than $7 million today. Its accomplishments appealed to me intellectually, right off the bat. But as I became more involved, it began to stir my emotions.
"

No comments: